All women have to schedule an appointment in advance by telephone or by using the online booking. We are not able to book appointments in person or accept patients without an appointment. There is usually a 1 week waiting time to book an appointment. Please go to the “appointment
” section of this website or call us at 604-736-7878 Monday to Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30 PM to book an appointment. The clinic is open some Saturdays, as well.
You do not need to get a referral or written note from a doctor to book an abortion at our clinic. However, if you do see a doctor beforehand or if a doctor or clinic refers you to our clinic, please give us their name when you book your appointment.
The clinic provides abortion care services Tuesdays to Fridays, as well as two Saturdays per month. The first appointment is 8:30 and the last appointment is 2:45.
Women who come to the clinic for an abortion can have an IUD inserted immediately post-procedure. The clinic also provides IUD insertions to new and returning patients by referral.
If you are less than twelve weeks pregnant, you should expect to be at the clinic for 2 to 3 hours. The abortion procedure, itself, is very brief but you will need time to see the counsellor and nurse, and then recover after your abortion. If you are more than twelve weeks pregnant and coming in for a one day appointment, you should expect to be at the clinic for 3 to 4 hours. If you are scheduled for a two-day abortion procedure, you can expect to be at the clinic for 1-4 hours on each day.
If you are a BC resident and have valid Medical Service Plan (MSP) coverage (BC Care Card), your abortion will be completely covered by the plan.
If you are from another province and have not been in BC for three months, you will have to pay a fee.
However, you can apply for reimbursement of some of that fee from your own provincial health plan.
If you are a visitor to BC, you can get an abortion at the clinic for the following fees:
- If you are under 12 weeks pregnant: $500
- If you are between 12 weeks and less than 14 weeks pregnant: $550
- If you are 14 weeks pregnant and over: $660
If you require assistance in applying for BC Medical Insurance or to pay for your abortion procedure, please contact us at 604-736-7878.
Please confirm your appointment within the timeframe we asked or we will assume you no longer need this appointment and it will be cancelled. Thank You!
The Day of the Procedure: Confirmation List
Please note the following:
- Patients should not eat four hours before your appointment time. You can have clear fluids right until your appointment. Clear fluids include water, ginger ale or sprite/7 up, apple juice, tea with no milk and clear soup broth.
- No alcohol, drugs or aspirin for 24 hours before your appointment.
- The clinic is a “scent-free” area, no perfumes, scented lotions or cologne please.
- Have a bath or shower on the morning of your appointment.
- You will need:
- a short sleeve shirt
- full back underwear (not thong style panties)
- socks (wear or bring)
- flat, comfortable shoes
- Please bring an extra pair of underpants as well as two maxi pads, you will not be able to use tampons for two weeks after your appointment.
- Take all prescription medication as usual on the day of your appointment and bring all prescription medication(s) with you.
- Anticipate a stay of 2 1/2 to 4 hours minimum.
- You cannot drive for 24 hours after your appointment. We recommend that you have someone drive you home or accompany you in a taxi or public transport. If you are alone you will need to take a taxi home.
- You are welcome to have one escort (no more!) with you at the clinic. They will, however, only go as far as the waiting room.
- Your escort needs to have a photo ID to get into the clinic.
- Cell phones, and any electronic devices, are strictly prohibited in the clinic area.
- if you must bring your phone, keep it turned off and out of view. Thank you!
Children are not permitted in the clinic
Please do not eat for at least four hours before your appointment time, unless you have been instructed otherwise. Prior to this time you may have a light meal (nothing greasy or heavy). Clear fluids should be consumed up until your appointment. Examples of clear fluids include soup broth, apple juice, tea (no milk or sugar) and ginger ale. We encourage you to drink in order to remain hydrated. We would like you to drink something with calories so that you maintain your energy levels and respond well to the medication we will give you.
You will not be able to drink anything once you arrive at the clinic for your appointment. You will be able to eat and drink after the procedure. Please feel free to bring a snack for after your procedure.
You may bring one person, male or female, with you into the clinic. For the security and confidentiality of our patients and staff, you and your friend/partner must show photo ID at the clinic. Please provide us with the name of the person who will be coming with you when you book your appointment. No children are permitted into the clinic.
No, only patients are allowed in the medical areas of the clinic.
Yes, we offer both prescriptions and the opportunity to purchase contraception. You can buy contraception at the time of your appointment. If you would like to purchase contraception at a later date, please call the clinic at (604) 736-7878 Monday to Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30PM to book an appointment. The clinic is open some Saturdays, as well.
The contraception that we sell and the costs are as follows; our prices include tax where applicable:
- Alesse – $10 per pack
- Marvelon- $10 per pack
- Depo Provera – $45 per injection
- Evra patch – $15 per pack
- Liberté copper UID – $75
- Mirena IUS – $390
- Jaydess IUS- $315
- Yaz or Yasmin – $20 per pack
An IUD can be inserted on the day of your procedure. You may bring your own or purchase one from the clinic.
Research shows it is safe to insert an IUD (intra-uterine device) immediately following your procedure although there is a slightly higher rate of expulsion. You may bring a pre-purchased IUD with you to your appointment or you may purchase one from us.
The clinic has three types for purchase; all prices include taxes:
- Liberté (copper IUD) $75, which remains effective for five years
- Mirena (contains hormones) $390, which remains effective for five years
- Jaydess (contains hormones) $315, which remains effective for three years
You can discuss the personal suitability of any of these devices with a counsellor.
Mirena and Jaydess costs may be partly or completely covered by extended medical coverage, Indian Health Status, and/or income assistance/BC Pharmacare.